Thursday, September 24, 2009

The NIght Taxi In Tampa

I begin my taxi shift very early on any given morning. I love the early hours and how the city looks and feels at this time. I want to continue doing this, but I don't know how much longer I can go on. The recession has been very bad and I can't pay my bills. I am behind in every area, including my responsibility to my company. They are thinking of letting me go.

In the cab business, you pay a lease. I have fallen behind on that. I am not to bad, a little over $100. Considering that I am 53 and have been doing this since my '30's, it means nothing to them.

I had to have the head of Drivers Relations, Amy, go to bat for me. She convinced the owners to not "fire" me. I have another day to try and reprieve myself. I wonder if it is really worth it.

I make no money. I could do better panhandling or flying a sign on a street corner. I don't know. I am really at a crossroads and trying not to think of myself as just another victim of the economy.

The irony of all of this, is that things are about to get better. I have managed to hand in there for three years and I am only just a little behind. 2010 should be the turnaround. That is what I have been waiting for.

I may not get the chance. That would be tragic.

I won't go postal..I will just go quietly into the night.

No comments: