Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pedro Says Hi To Larry, and hard times in the Tampa Taxi business

Pedro in the taxi cab
Pedro was a long time special for the now retired cab driver from Tampa Larry. I picked up Pedro the other day and he asked about Larry, and how he was doing. I had a nice chat with him on the way to his job that he still has after many years. I hope Larry sees this post and the cell phone photo of him. It was almost like old times, but not really.

The taxi business in Tampa the last few years have been very tough. I am not going to lie. I have a good day every now and then. But most of them are crap. I am hanging by a thread in all aspects of my life and may be facing homelessness. That is something I am trying to avoid.

With no vacation in five years, or a day off in three, I beaten and almost on the ground. I owe the company over $1,000 and that is the point they are letting the drivers go that owe that much.

It is just before Christmas and that would be a shitty time of year to get thrown to the curb. We are only days away from the good time of the year, and my life depends on this. I mean my life. I am too old to be walking down the street with just my clothes on my back knowing that I could be making money, but it was taken from me.

I am very much at the end of my rope. I have no clue what will happen to me. Oh well, I guess the sun will rise and shine and I will come up with something. It could be for the best. At least I am alive and breathing. There is something to be said for that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Desert Cab Inc. sued in Federal Ct. for Racketeering
by driver555 » Thu Dec 15, 2011

On December 8, 2011 a civil lawsuit was filed in Nevada Federal District Court by a former Desert Cab Inc. driver alleging violations of by Desert and others for wire fraud, Racketeering / corrupt organizations (RICO), Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and wrongful discharge. Individuals sued include its owners, George Balaban, Dana Balaban and Brad Balaban, its General Manager, Sandy Shaver, its senior supervisor, Marc Cramer and its supervisor David Kocher.

The complaint alleged violations illegal or wrongful misconduct by the company for requiring long-hauling, cash deposits by its drivers in exchange for the right to work (running the meter with no customers present) and forcing its drivers to drive negligently maintained vehicles. Alleged rataliation by Desert includes bad shifts, cancelled shifts, poorly maintained taxicabs, and ultimately termination for drivers who do not not make average book.

The terminated driver filing the lawsuit demands general and special damages, punitive damages and treble damages under RICO.

Reference case:
Serota v. Desert Cab, Inc. et.al., 2:11-cv-01969-LRH-RJJ
The assigned judge is the Hon. Larry Hicks
The assigned magistrate judge is the Hon. Robert Johnston, Las Vegas
The case is on file with the United States District Court in Las Vegas